POSITION SUMMARY: The mission of the Hoosier Youth ChalleNGe Academy (HYCA) is to intervene in and reclaim the lives of at-risk youth to produce program graduates with the values, skills, education and self-discipline necessary to succeed as adults. This program provides military based training, including supervised work experience in community service and conservation programs, to civilian youth who cease to attend secondary school before graduating so as to improve their life skills and employment potential.
Serves as the Head Nurse supervising and performing all medical tasks in support of the Hoosier Youth Challenge Academy. Responsible for HYCA medical care section through coordinating the assessment, planning, administration, and evaluation of nursing care. Provides in-house 24-hours a day, 7-days per week medical care as necessary and coordinates and schedules other medical care beyond the HYCA limited capability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides primary professional medical/nursing care to the Hoosier Youth Challenge Academy Cadets as required by administrative policy and State of Indiana medical licensing regulations: coordinates and manages the planning, assessment, implementation, and evaluation of the division’s medical program: duties include, but are not limited to: utilizes the nursing process to effectively assess, evaluate, and execute required medical needs of individual Cadets.
- Reviews and implements doctors orders using solid nursing judgment to assess Cadets and provides a nursing evaluation related to those orders.
- Administers medications and treatments as directed by a doctor or parent/guardian for the maintenance of the individual student wellness.
- Assists in coordinating the Academy’s Medical schedule and assists in following up with M.D.’s requests new medications, change in physical restrictions, completing lab slips for necessary lab work with coding, scheduling x-rays, calling the pharmacy with insurance information, and arranging second consults with other M.D.’s when requested.
- Acts as liaison between doctors / other health care providers and students’ parents/guardians to coordinate in advance the medical care to be provided as required, unless emergency warrants otherwise.
- Responsible for coordination of the payment sources between those areas and / or assists students with the application process and receipt of public assistance when needed: ensures the HYCA program does not incur any undue financial responsibility or liability.
- Assists in coordinating medical, dental, and other clinical appointments through the authorization of students parents/ guardians other medical treatment facilities and the Youth Academy Cadre Section, when necessary, for transportation and to avoid conflicts with students training schedule.
- Responsible for all medical records, to include, but not limited to: reviews, ensures accuracy, maintains confidentiality, and updates when needed. Reviews for immunizations and provides and administers those immunizations, including reviews TB testing requirements for students and division staff, in accordance with State of Indiana
- Reviews the Hoosier Youth Challenge Academy student injury and accident reporting procedures, covered and required by; the Federal Workers Compensation Program: which handles severe long term injuries that may occur to the students while in this program. Such duties include, but are not limited to; report submissions, medical care provider coordination, parent / guardian liaison and recurring follow-ups as may be needed.
- Plans and conducts family, patient and health education by counseling and fostering inclusion of the educational concepts into all phases of the health care provided.
- Participates in the orientation and the staff development programs for personnel assisting with patient care.
- assists physicians in conducting examinations. Makes assessments of patients’ condition. Charts medical history.
- Documents client medical files according to established medical guidelines and in accordance with any guidelines established by the NG Youth Challenge Program.
- Acts as resource person to the medical staff, Cadets and the staff of the HYCA. Provides OSHA training to staff, reviewing and updating the HYCA OSHA control plan yearly.
- Determines supply and equipment needs and priorities in support of the Hoosier Youth Challenge Academy;
- Maintains the security of the Medical Supply Facilities.