Knowledge Services is actively seeking a Accountant/Reconciliation Specialist for a contract to hire opening with the State of Indiana Department of Revenue in Indianapolis, IN. This role will have full-state benefits after conversion!
• Serves as a senior accountant within the Accounting Operations group and is primarily responsible for completing the more complex accounting functions, such as ensuring daily revenues received are processed into PeopleSoft timely and accurately, account analysis is completed to ensure proper application of revenue to the State’s fund/accounts, work procedures are current and updated as necessary.
• Responsible for completing complex system-to-system and material balance sheet account reconciliations, and for reconfiguring existing accounts to simplify the process of reconciliations.
• Assists Deputy Controller, Accounting Operations & Finance Controls with monitoring compliance with key controls and policy development in conjunction with all accounting matters and audits.
Accountant/Reconciliation Specialist Responsibilities:
• Records all revenue receipts and posts daily Report of Collection entries into PeopleSoft/ENCOMPASS Financials with multi-layer reconciliation to the taxpayer systems.
• Gathers and analyzes data to ensure financial statements, bank reconciliations, revenue distributions and other accounting related activities are in line with the enabling Indiana Code.
• Prepares complex general ledger account reconciliations, balances validation, and resolution of transactions in the suspense/clearing accounts.
• Research accounting discrepancies, determining most appropriate methods to correct discrepancies, and prepares/initiates journal entries to normalize the account.
• Performs key validations and internal control functions to ensure agency’s revenue of $20+Billion are recorded accurately and timely, and that those funds are distributed appropriately to other agencies, counties, and localities.
• Prepares schedules and reconciliations necessary to assist in preparing the State Annual Comprehensive Financial Reports as may be required by the State Comptroller.
• Provides analytical support and governance over the reconciliation between the tax systems, the sub-ledger and general ledger.
• Actively contribute to developing, implementing, and managing process improvement projects throughout the project life cycle including requirements definition, design, development, user acceptance testing, and deployment phases.
• Performs maintenance on the internal systems Chart of Accounts, inclusive of account setup, certification, and periodic reviews.
• Strong focus on customer service and maintaining high standards of integrity.
• Be a self-starter who is curious, independently pursues knowledge, and is willing and able to learn quickly.
• Prepares routine and ad hoc management reporting – trend and variance analysis – useful for timely alerting of and correction of processing errors or significant operational changes/issues.
• Performs other related duties and functions as part of the Accounting Operations team by undertaking special or priority projects as assigned.
Accountant/Reconciliation Specialist Requirements:
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or at least five (5) years of accounting/analysis experience.
• Four to six years of experience in Accounting or related area
• Knowledge and ability to use automated financial and accounting reporting systems
• Ability to formulate sound recommendations and make appropriate decisions with consideration of potential impact on operations
• Ability to communicate effectively with higher levels of management on accounting issues
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to performs a variety of tasks and be flexible with changing priorities and processes
• Knowledge of current and changing State and Federal laws and regulations
• Ability to accurately comply with new principles and procedures
• Ability to interpret questions correctly and communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Considerate knowledge of federal and state accounting laws
• Strong Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access) skills
• Knowledge and ability to formulate, implement and remediate key controls
• Ability to organize and prioritize time sensitive daily tasks and activities
• Ability to solve relatively complex accounting problems
• Ability to reconcile discrepancies in accounts
• Ability to develop effective relationships with all staff levels within DOR and other state agencies
• Ability to work well under pressure, learn and function well under widely different situations and circumstances
Knowledge Services is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Software Powered by iCIMS